Sunday, April 27, 2008

name names

I was thinking today about when people say, "And you know who you are". Not so much of the literal knowledge of what your name is and who you come from, but when things are said like, "I would really appreciate it if a few of you, and you know who you are, would please pay more attention." What if they, who you are talking about, truly thought you were talking about someone else who was suppose to know it was them who you were truly talking about when you really were talking about the few people who thought you were talking about the other people who you may or may not have been truly talking about and those who you weren't talking about at all could think it was them who you were truly talking about, thus enforcing false guilt upon the people or person who you really weren't talking about? So I've come to the conclusion that when you use the phrase "And you know who you are", you run a real risk of talking about no one, or else those who you didn't think would think it was them you were talking about but accidentally assumed you were talking about them because you used the phrase that so allows these questions. Why not just mention names? Is that too much to ask? ie. Today I witnessed such a situation when name listing really could have come in handy. "I would like to thank all my leaders who have helped me so much, AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE." After hearing this, my mind could think only of all the leaders of this person sitting in the congregation wondering to themselves, "Is she talking about me? I've helped her haven't I? That one time? No? Oh, she doesn't like me..I can tell, because I didn't help her so much." The only thing is all of her leaders could be thinking this same thing when all the girl wanted to do is thank her leaders. In conclusion, when at all possible, avoid the said phrase and name names. It's just better for everyone.
That is all.

No comments: